Maintenance of a car is very important and everyone can do it easily by following simple steps. As the mechanics charge you heavy prices on even the simplest procedure, it makes sense for you to try to fix these issues on your own. One can maintain the car by himself; you only need to follow the steps carefully.
Following are some essential car maintenance tips to save your money, time and help you make your car run more efficiently.
Oil and Oil Filter
Oil filtration is necessary for every motorist after every 3,000 miles. You can have your car’s engine oil changed by any mechanic and auto shop, but it is a simple enough task that you can do it yourself and even save your money on the unnecessary charges.
The tools you need for oil filtration include Ratchet, Oil filter wrench, oil pan, and funnel. It will take your approximately 30 to 45 minutes and its estimated cost is $20.
Before changing the oil, you must take some precautionary measures. The precautionary measures are as follows:
- Always try to drive the car around any block to warm the car as it will result in a more effective draining of unnecessary oil, but never change the oil of the car if the engine of the car is hot, let it cool down and then change the oil.
- Before changing the oil you have to jack your car, so make sure you are able to handle the car on a jack.
After taking all the precautionary measures now, it’s time to filter the oil of a car. The following are the step of oil filtration:
- Locate the oil pan under your car and take an oil pan and drain all the old oil in it.
- Replace the drain plug after draining all the oil.
- Remove the old oil filter with your oil filter wrench.
- Always lubricate the rubber gasket on the new oil filter with some new motor oil.
- Fill your oil filter with the new oil and always check that the oil limit should not exceed more than two-thirds of the way.
- Tighten the screws of new oil filter and fill the engine with new oil.
- Take a dip-stick and re-check the level of oil to make sure that the oil level meets its desired level.
- Recycle the old oil and discard the old oil filters.
You can find many oil filtration stations mostly at every nook of the area, but it is good to change it by yourself. It is a bit dirty work, but then it will give you a level of satisfaction that you did it yourself. Of course, you will also have the pride that you cut back on the expenses by doing and you will also save your time.
Fuel Filter Replacement
Fuel filter replacement is another important part of the car, but you must follow each and every instruction carefully as it may damage your engine. It is a bit costly work, but you can do it on your own and can save your money. The things you need during fuel filter replacement are a new fuel filter, new fuel line washers, open end wrenches, rags and eye protection. This process will take your only 30 minutes and the estimated cost is $20.
The steps of fuel filter replacement are as follows:
- First of all relieve the fuel system pressure and if you can’t find that then at least try to locate the fuel pump fuse on the fuse box and if you failed to find that also then try to find the relay that operates the fuel pump. After finding that, start your car with the running engine, relay out or pull the fuse and if your engine dies it means you pulled the right one.
- The second step in fuel filter replacement is to disconnect the fuel lines from the fuel filter and then find the two open end wrenches that are the correct size for your fuel filter fittings.
- When you see the wrenches are in place put a rag over the fitting to protect yourself as there may be still some pressure in the lines.
- The fourth step is to hold to wrench that fits on the actual filter and then turn the other wrench counter-clockwise and hold the wrench until the bolt comes out and then slide the fuel line off the bolt, repeat the same process on the other side and then remove the old fuel filter.
- Next step is to change the fuel filter washer and make sure to match the correct one.
- Then install the new fuel filter that is opposite of the process you performed while removing the old fuel filter.
- Screw the fuel pump fuse and then start the car.
Fuel filter replacement is a time taking task and if you are not familiar with it than it is best to visit your mechanic for fuel filter replacement.
Also read: Things to Do When Your Car Breaks Down!
The battery is an important part of the vehicle and to keep your car in its optimum condition, you should check the battery of your car. The battery of the car should be running smoothly and efficiently and you can the battery by yourself and it will not only save your money, but it will also save your precious time. For battery maintenance, you need only a few things that include wrenches, corrosion-removal fluid, wire brush, and rags. This whole process will take your only 20 minutes and its estimated cost $5.
Following are the steps of battery maintenance:
- The first step is to remove your battery and make sure that you always remove the negative cable first and you can use flathead screw as well to remove the battery.
- After removing the battery, the second step is to clean the posts and you can buy the cleaning product from the market and the other easy way is to simply mix the soda and water and make your own cleaning product.
- Wash the fluid with water and then dry it with rugs.
- The last step is to replace the battery terminals.
On should clean the battery every month as the dead battery one of the car problems and if you cannot do it at home, simply take the car to a mechanic every month.
Windshield wipers mostly used frequently in the car as the weather never remains the same, so it important to change them after every six months. You can simply visit the auto shop to change the wipers, but you can also change them by yourself and it will take only your 15 minutes and its estimated cost is $10 to $20. Following are the steps to change the windshield wipers:
- Firstly, just lift the windshield blades and remove the old blades and while, removing them simply pay attention that how the old blades were connected to the metal arms.
- Mostly the cars have a tab underside of the wiper; you just have to push the tab to remove the old blade.
- The last step is to attach the wiper blades and be careful not to bend the arms or scratch your windshield. After attaching the wipers make sure that they are secure and tight.
You can always read the instructions and can take help from new blades packet and if you are not satisfied with then simply take your car to an auto shop.
These are the essential car maintenance tips that everyone can easily do and it will not only save you money, but it will also save your quality of time. The only need is to carefully follow all the instructions and takes all precautionary measure to avoid any incident.
Are you planning on changing your old car? Remember that you can sell your car to SellMyCar.ae in 30 minutes and our team of experts handle everything including post-sale paperwork.